Monday, January 5, 2015

The Router, Revisited

One of my readers asked for more pics of my router table hack, so here they are.
Here's an overall photo of the complete setup. Note the ad-hoc debris collection system. (the router cuts off bits of wood of various sizes, ranging from dust to large chunks.)
Here's what it looks like from below. The table surface is doubled up to bring it to the approximate height of the table saw table, and then a couple rails are added so the router table drops in between the rails of the saw table.
Here's a close-up of the table surface. I used a spade drill bit to provide a place for the bolt heads to drop in so they don't sit proud of the table surface. The hole for the router bit was cut on the drill press with a hole saw. It looks small, but there's no point in making it any larger as the router body stops me from using any larger bits anyway. The grooves in the table surface were accidental; I placed the router on the table surface to change the bit, and because I didn't use hardwood plywood for the table, the force required to break the chuck loose pressed the router body into the table.
A view from the back.

No comments:

Post a Comment